Christ Church Shamley Green


HOME

About the Group:


 

 

Christ Church is set on the brow of a hill, in the centre of the parish, but on the edge of the village, surrounded by the old and new well kept churchyard and by farmland.

The village War Memorial is near the church porch.

The Church, dating from 1863 is an unpretentious building of sound construction which is in a good state of repair and well maintained.  The interior is pleasingly simple and open.  The nave which seats about 120 leads directly into the chancel (the original chapel).  In 1950 the south aisle was partly enclosed to make a choir vestry, partly reordered as a lady chapel, dedicated in 1958.  In 1994 an aumbry was installed there, and the sacrament is reserved.  The Vicarís vestry is on the north side of the chancel.  Both vestries were refurbished in 1989.  The whole interior of the church was redecorated in 1982.

A principal feature of the church is the east wall, painted in 1892, showing a mandorla with the Paschal Lamb (adopted as a logo of the parish) above an adoration of the angels, above the Annunciation and the Nativity on either side of the east window.  This is well lit, as is the whole church, which has this year been complimented by an induction loop sound system.  Alternative lighting is provided by the original candle standards for the full length of the church which are used at high Festivals.  The heating system is reliable and efficient.  The 1910 organ is in sound order.  There is a carillon of six bells.  The Church is naturally light, most of the 15 windows being contemporary with their part of the building.  Within the church are a number of artefacts made by parishioners.

 
Contact information: For further information please email: vicar@shamleygreen.net
More Information:

Church Services

Church Flowers

Choir

Sunday Club

Church Rooms

Mother and Toddler

   
 

Cathedral Link

 

Shamley Green - A Church Near You